The History

Three centuries of history

The house that today houses the Country House Antica Dimora del Sole was built towards the end of the 18th century by the couple Nicola De Luca and Maddalena Vingelli, a family of ancient lineage, land owners and merchants in Naples..

Among the children of the De Luca couple was Domenico Antonio De Luca, a known anti-Bourbon conspirator who was part of, along with his uncle the canon De Luca, the sect of the Philadelphians who led to the insurrectionary movements of Cilento in 1828.

In this house, the rebels and the canon often met to plan their actions against the ruling house of the Bourbons. In fact, the rebellion started in Cilento and spread to the whole province of Salerno and Avellino and then converged to Naples, forcing the king to grant a constitution.

Meanwhile, King Francis I had granted Marshal Francesco Saverio Del Carretto full powers to suppress the rebellions. Domenico Antonio De Luca was executed in Vallo della Lucania and his skull was displayed in Piazza San Marco in Licusati for about twenty years as a warning to the population. The same fate happened to his uncle the canon, who was executed in Salerno by beheading. All the De Luca family’s real estate assets were subsequently confiscated, forcing them to move permanently to Naples.

It was in Naples that the famous sculptor Professor Luigi De Luca (1857-1938) was born, famous for his works in the Neapolitan capital, among which the Lions of Piazza della Borsa.

De Luca was a teacher at the Academy of Fine Arts in Naples and the author of numerous monuments both in Italy and abroad. The sculptor, mindful of his origins, often visited Licusati, leaving behind eight works, including the Winged Nike of the monument to the fallen.

The house has seen many characters who have contributed to the local and Cilento history, the Dominican Father Vincenzo Jervasi also lived within its walls, jurisconsult, promoter of the causes of beatification and sanctification, professor of canon law in Naples, prior of the Dominican order . For health reasons he will move to Licusati, his hometown, where the bishop will entrust him with the leadership of the parish. In the house he set up an oratory where he welcomed children of all ages and social classes to prepare them for free in the various scholastic paths.

When the reverend died, the house was sold and was inhabited until the 80s of the last century.

Today it is owned by the spouses Raffaele and Nunzia Grimaldi, who thanks to their historical sensitivity have created a structural recovery plan for both the internal and external property.